- Portals and knowledge management (KM) systems
- Information and asset repository systems
- Digital asset management systems, digital libraries
- Geospatial digital asset management systems
- Electronic document management systems
- Digitized vs. born digital collections
- Long-term management of systems and data, conversion, and migration issues
- Buy vs. build, hosted vs. locally installed, enterprise vs. open source
- Richard Huffine, National Library Coordinator, U.S. Geological Survey
Exercises and Assignments
Independent Learning/Team Projects
- Work on team projects and student portfolios.
Readings and Resources
- Brewster, Kahle (2008). A Digital Library, Free to the World, a YouTube video sponsored by TedTalks. URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXoHC2D15hM (accessed 2/9/2008).
- Driver, Erica and Moore, Connie (March 2008). Information Workplace Platform Vendors Light Up The World of Work. Cambridge: MA: Forrester. (See restricted readings area.)
- Engard, Nicole C., Editor (2009). Library Mashups: Exploring New Ways to Deliver Library Data. Information Today, Inc.: New Jersey. Read the following chapter:
- Chapter 17: The Repository Mashup Map by Stuart Lewis
- Chapter 21: Electronic Dissertation Mashups Using SRU by Michael C. Witt
- Slideshare.net presentation: "What's in Your Digital Landfill?" URL: http://www.slideshare.net/jmancini77/whats-in-your-digital-landfill/ (accessed 6/29/2008).