- Strategic management as it relates specifically to technologies, the use of technology to move us forward, and managing the direction and projects
- Trends spotting: Shifting trend in libraries as it relates to technologies and tools
- Staffing: Core competencies, keeping staff motivated and engaged, growing outside their comfort zones
- Constant improvement and managing resources and budgets including consolidation and downsizing
- Funding, grants
- Selling ideas to management
- Organizational policies and politics
- Sam Clay, Director, Fairfax County Public Library, Fairfax, Virginia
- Learn more about Sam, his strategic vision, and how he keeps the Fairfax County Library relevant to its citizens: BookCast interview with Sam Clay, Fairfax County Library podcast.
Exercises and Assignments
Hands-on Learning and Discussion in Class
- Team projects: Discuss overview and projects. I will plan to create a survey that I will distribute during Week's 2 class.
- WebEx virtual conferencing: We'll explore WebEx and learn more about its features and functionality in preparation for Week 3's class. Please see our discussion forums area for basic requirements and tutorials. ***Remember to bring headsets to class.***
- Google Docs: Review documents, spreadsheets, presentations, forms and folders along with options for collaboration.
- Team projects assignment: Review and select by Wednesday, January 27, 2010, the project you are most interested in participating.
- Playing in Sandboxes assignment: Plan > Do > Teach.
Readings and Resources
Image source: Dysart & Jones Blog on "How to Master Change