- Sandboxes: Exploring tools and applications
- Importance of play
- Expanding your skills
- Building your expertise
- Web 2.0/Library 2.0
Exercises and Assignments
- Due: Playing in Sandboxes/Pecha Kucha presentations (Part 1). See weekly reminders for more detailed information and requirements.
Readings and Resources
- Brown, Stuart (2008). "Stuart Brown: Why play is vital -- no matter your age," TEDTalks (Ted=Technology, Entertainment, and Design). URL: http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/stuart_brown_says_play_is_more_than_fun_it_s_vital.html (accessed 3/18/2009).
- Eisenberg, Mike (May 2008). "The Parallel Information Universe: What's Out There and What It Means for Libraries," LibraryJournal.com. URL: http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6551184.html (accessed 1/4/2009).
- Engard, Nicole C., Editor (2009). Library Mashups: Exploring New Ways to Deliver Library Data. Information Today, Inc.: New Jersey. Read the following chapters:
- Chapter 14: Flickr and Digital Image Collections by Mark Dahl and Jeremy McWilliams
- Chapter 15: Blip.tv and Digital Video Collections in the Libraries by Jason A. Clark
- Chapter 16: "Where's the Nearest Computer Lab?": Mapping Up Campus by Derik A. Badman